ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES REALATED WITH ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT
The acupuncture treatment originates from china and has been practiced in China, Korea, Japan and other Asian countries since thousands of years. In this treatment, specific points or acupoints of the human body are induced simply by inserting and manipulating thin metallic needles, which consist of a diameter ranging between 0.18 mm to 0.51 mm. handling of needles, is possible either by hand or by electrical stimulation. It is considered as an effective remedy as it gives relief from pain and balances the energy flow in the body. In 2003, one research has recognized the effectiveness of acupuncture and provides an extensive list of diseases and disorders that can treated with the help of acupuncture treatment. In US, this treatment is used in order to treat depression, musculoskeletal pain and stress. However, there are numerous advantages along with disadvantages are associated with acupuncture treatment, which is mentioned below:
BENEFITS AND ADVANTAGES OF ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT
- Research indicates that, acupuncture is beneficial for therapeutic purposes. The main aim of acupuncture, through traditional Chinese medicine point of view is that, to restore and maintain health by concentrating on vital energy or points of the body. In fact, it is one kind of non-invasive form of treatment and is utilized by numerous acupuncturists, physicians, dentists and other various health practitioners in order to get relief from pain and other several health related problems.
- The most important benefit of acupuncture is that, this treatment consists of very few side effects and is accomplished by registered and well-trained practitioner. Research has proven that acupuncture treatment carries few adverse effects as compared to prescribed medications and other medical procedures which are adopted for treating similar conditions.
- According to research, treatment of acupuncture works better as compared to established and common practices of medicine and therapy. However, you may not get the expected positive results if pitted against sham acupuncture. The desire positive results of the trial contribute to inclusion of acupuncture. In short, this type of holistic therapy was limited to lower back and knee pain therapy.
- One research was conducted on four severe types of pain such as headache, back and neck ache, osteoarthritis and shoulder pain to know the ability of acupuncture. The research has revealed that pure acupuncture is quiet better than sham acupuncture and is beneficial and not a simple medicine.
- One research conducted in 2008 has proved that, acupuncture is especially efficient in order to get rid of chronic pain.
- Treatment of acupuncture can be conducted among people of any age group such as children, adults and elderly people. Basically this treatment is safest and does not provide any harm. In fact, it is carried without interfering with other ongoing treatment and medications. People with poor immune system as well benefited from acupuncture treatment.
- According to studies, people are getting relief from various chronic pains such as headache, joint pain, insomnia, stress, back pain and fatigue due to completion of prescribed acupuncture sessions. Apart from that, Acupuncture also helps the patient to restore energy and raises the overall stamina of the patient.
- Several times research has found that acupuncture stimulates the nerves in the spinal cord as well as allows the brain to release pain relieving neurotransmitters. In addition, research conducted in 1999 has found that, acupuncture induces the pituitary glands to release endorphins. It was also found that, the patient who follows acupuncture treatment for reducing recurrent pain, had promoted the level of endorphins in the cerebrospinal fluid.
- Research has found that, acupuncture is one of the best treatments for various health ailments such as asthma, nausea, infertility, dental pain, migraine and so on. Hence, more research should be conducted to validate these claims as well as to examine the various acupuncture points of the body in order to know the effects of acupuncture treatment on the brain during treatment.
From the above mentioned benefits of acupuncture, it is confirmed that, acupuncture not only attempt to cure the cause of problem but also eliminates the symptoms. In addition, patient may also feel energized and relaxed after treatment and feel comfortable with needles. The most substantial advantage is that, it is usable by anyone who is interested. One fact also keep in mind that, people with bleeding disorders and those using blood thinners cannot use this treatment.
RISK AND DISADVANTAGES OF ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT
- Studies indicate that, acupuncture is safe but the needles which are used are sterile. In fact, one organization has set some standards for acupuncture needles. According to that, the needles should be labeled and sealed properly with the objective to prevent contamination, tampering and misuse.
- One important fact also consider that the needles should be used only once per patient and should be disposed properly. Besides that, while having the treatment, the practitioner should swab the treatment site before inserting the needles with the aim to prevent skin infection.
- The effectiveness of this technique varies from person to person and every person gives different responds. As some patient require this technique for long period in order to get long lasting benefits. On the other hand, some patient may be satisfied with the results with the help of few sessions of acupuncture only.
- Some patient may notice mild soreness in the pierced areas of the body after the completion of treatment. However, they may also get relief from this pain after 1 or 2 days.
- Acupuncture may also contribute to weakness, loss of appetite and drowsiness and these health ailments cannot be cure instantly and magically. Hence, this method provides only temporary benefits instead of providing long-lasting benefits.
- Some patient experience chronic pain than others while undergoing acupuncture. People with sensitive skin develop rashes or eruptions.
- While undergoing acupuncture bleeding should not take place when the needles are pierced into the skin. And if this happens, the treatment should be stopped immediately. Infection and injury to the tissue may also take place in some cases, if the procedure is not performed in a correct manner. As a result, patient should always confirm that acupuncturists is registered and qualified to perform acupuncture. Because incorrect placement of needles by unqualified practitioner may contributes to swelling, bleeding and pain in the treatment site.