The high levels of cholesterol in the body can be decreased with the help of changes in the lifestyle as well as the intake of the right medications. The high levels of cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart stroke and heart problems. Fortunately, there are very fewer things that might aid you in decreasing your cholesterol levels.
There are no signs of high levels of cholesterol in the body. You can only assure it with the help of the blood test called lipid profile which only your doctor can suggest to you. Once after conducting the tests, if your doctor found that there are high cholesterol levels in your lipid panel then; your physician might ask you make some changes in your lifestyle as an important part of the treatment.
But after making changes in your lifestyle still, you cannot attain a healthy level of cholesterol in the body in some time then, you might have to take medicines that lower the cholesterol in the bloodstream. The person who has already suffered from the heart attack or identified with FH (familial hypercholesterolemia), a genetic type of high cholesterol, then he or she undoubtedly requires 1 or more cholesterol-decreasing medications instantly.
How Might we decrease the levels of Cholesterol?
The first line of treatment for curing the high levels of cholesterol in the blood or triglycerides (one more kind of fat, or lipid) is the adoption of a healthy lifestyle. Professionals recommend following the below steps for decreasing your possibility of high levels of cholesterol in the body:
Sticking to a healthy diet:
Decreasing the trans-fat and the saturated fat in the diet might provide a huge effect on the level of cholesterol in the body. Further alterations might also be useful, for example, raising your consumption of vegetables, fruit, as well as whole grains.
You may also follow dietary strategy tips to decrease your cholesterol levels. Consulting a good dietician or a doctor that specializes in the diet is a better way. You may ask some doctor regarding a recommendation if you want some extra direction.
- Decrease your weight having BMI (body mass index) of 30 or more possess a higher risk for the development of the high cholesterol in the body.
- Lookout your waist
- fat in the belly area which increases your stomach measurement may increase your possibility of getting high cholesterol levels in the body. The males having a waist measurement of 102 centimeters or 40 inches or more have a higher risk, whereas females having a waist measurement of 89 cm or 35 inches or more can easily get suffer from high cholesterol problems.
- Get active
- The workout provides 2 effects over the levels of cholesterol in the blood. Exercise increases the levels of good or HDL cholesterol, as well as it similarly upsurges the dimension of the bad or LDL elements of cholesterol that results in less probability of the creation of plaque on the walls of the artery.
- If you want to control your level of cholesterol in the body, get engage in 30 minutes of moderate to fast aerobic workout in the maximum number of days in 1 week. In such a situation, extra is good — working out regular shall improve your health to a great extent.
- You are only beginning a workout regime or have not remained active shortly then, go for the low-effect aerobic workouts such as cycling, walking, or swimming. But don’t forget to have a word with your doctor before beginning any regime of workout or exercise plan.
- Quit the habit of smoking
- Tobacco smoking might harm the blood vessels walls which can make it stress-free for plaque to gather. The habit of smoking similarly tends to decrease HDL levels.
- Control your level of blood sugar
- It is vital to retain your level of sugar in the blood below control if you are suffering from a health issue like diabetes. The high level of blood sugar might deteriorate the liner of your veins; increase the levels of LDL, and decrease the levels of HDL.
Medications for High Cholesterol
After making changes in your lifestyle if you didn’t find that your cholesterol levels have reached the suggested levels then, your health professional might recommend you one or more medications. The following are the cholesterol-lowering drugs which come into some diverse categories:
Statins are those drugs that hinder a procedure your liver utilizes for the creation of cholesterol. Also, they might benefit in the body reabsorption of the cholesterol from your body fluid and fact from deposits inside the veins.
The below are generally recommended statins:
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- Crestor (rosuvastatin)
- Lovastatin (Altoprev or Mevacor)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- Lescol (fluvastatin)
- Pravachol (pravastatin)
- Livalo (pitavastatin)
Our body requires cholesterol as an ingredient for making the bile acids that result in indigestion. You can judge from the name that these medications tend to fix the bile acids so that your liver utilizes the extra cholesterol for making extra bile acids that decreases the cholesterol levels in the blood.
Bile-acid-binding medications are usually recommended together with a statin. They consist of:
- Prevalite (cholestyramine)
- Colestid (colestipol)
- Welchol (colesevelam)
Cholesterol absorption inhibitors
This category of medication restricts the quantity of food cholesterol that the tiny intestine captivates with the purpose of not releasing inside your arteries.
Zetia (ezetimibe) might be recommended in grouping using any of the statin medications. It is the solitary inhibitor for cholesterol absorption currently on the market.
Medications for High Triglycerides
If you are suffering from the problem of high triglycerides along with the high level of cholesterol then, your physician might also suggest the below medications:
These kinds of drugs decrease the production of your liver’s possessing VLDL (very-low-density lipoprotein) that is invented generally of triglycerides. Also, upsurge the elimination of triglycerides from the body fluid. The following are the 2 commonly recommended fibrates:
- Tricor (fenofibrate)
- Lopid (gemfibrozil)
Omega-3 fatty acids:
Omega-3 fatty acids are the supplements (the common among them is the fish oil) might benefit in decreasing your triglycerides. You may also have omega-3 fatty acids in combination with the statin. Omega-3 fatty acids are obtainable OTC (over the counter) or by recommendation below numerous brand terms:
If you choose to buy the OTC fish oil or some omega-3 supplement then, get assured by letting know your doctor. The fish oil’s OTC ranges might impact other medicine you are consuming.
Niacin is also recognized as vitamin B3 (and ended below numerous brand titles), it restricts the ability of your liver to create LDL (low-density lipoprotein) as well as VLDL cholesterol. Moreover, it decreases the creation of triglycerides and increases HDL cholesterol.
On the other hand, niacin has not been revealed to offer any extra advantage over the utilization of the statins only, and it is also linked to the increased possibility of stroke and harm of the liver. Due to such risks, maximum doctors suggest niacin merely for persons that cannot consume the statins.
- All About Treatments for High Cholesterol - September 26, 2019
- Hair Fall and Its Treatments - August 1, 2018
- Healthiest Food Items For Breakfast - January 4, 2018